Monday, January 19, 2009

Which is more obnoxious?

So Saturday I went to a classmate's birthday party and many people inquired about XX. Possible answers:

A) XX is now going to [prestigious law school].

B) XX lives in [where the prestigious law school is located], she's a first year in law school.

Note that this place is famous for one school, so naming the location is almost as good as naming the school.

Now the question: which is more obnoxious? Both XX and I hate pretentiousness and pretentious people...I find both answers moderately pretentious just because of the name-dropping, and the follow-up from the other person is inevitably - "Oh that's great - that's a great school etc. etc."

I found myself doing a little bit of both A and B, but definitely ended up using one more than the other...But before I reveal that - I'm curious which XX thinks is the better route.

[/XX edit]

Theoretically, I do think A is less pretentious, especially if given as a response to a direct question. B seems to be avoiding the question in an attempt to seem humble, but when in actuality it's not any more humble than A and is just annoying.

... however in practice, I still tend to use B more often. I think I justify it by thinking, well, I'm really meaning to be humble here. Even if it comes off as totally pretentious. Do as she says, not as she does, I guess. Um. Yeah.

[XY Comment]:

Yeah so I generally go with B - and I think it does come off as more obnoxious, which is ironic because I'm really trying to be less obnoxious. I guess I'll try and switch to A.

No comments: