Monday, November 16, 2009

Why Do Anime Women Generally Suck?

I really like animation. I think the only reason, then, that I'm not more into Japanese anime is that the women in them generally suck. They're annoying. They're weak. They've got ridiculously irritating voices and personalities. They basically serve no useful purpose other than to be cutesy and delicate beings. Eye candy and love interests. But why would any cool, kickass male character fall in love with these intensely annoying females?

I'm not saying I need a strong female character in every single animated cup o' tea. I like plenty of animated shows and movies that lack a strong female lead or villain (notably, most of the PIXAR films to date focus on male protagonists). But where there have been strong females, I've generally been quite taken: San or the Lady Eboshi, from Princess Mononoke, for example. In fact, Miyazaki has a whole parade of strong female leads. And Avatar: The Last Airbender has a whole host of awesome (or at least kickass, if not awesome) female characters: Azula!!, Katara, Toph!!!, Mai, Ty Lee.

It's really too bad, because I'm sure I'd watch a whole lot more anime if there were appealing female heroines and villainesses. But... there aren't. Or at least I haven't found them yet.

No comments: