Wednesday, December 30, 2009

What's the Big Deal About Privacy?

Maybe I'm missing something, but what's the big deal about privacy? I know I shouldn't feel this way, but ... I guess I feel ambivalent about the 4th Amendment.

The Christmas day bombing has reignited the debate between privacy advocates and security wonks who want to put in full-body scanners.

What's the big deal? So you get scanned. It's a "digital strip search." I don't really agree, but maybe I don't know enough about the technology. Whatever. Even if it is. If it deters some form of explosives or weapons-carrying, then great. Digital strip search. Fine with me. When women go to the gynecologist, the doctor looks at our privates and stucks a speculum up there. What's the big deal. It's a professional. Same with security.

Whether it's cost-effective or effective is a different question. But whether privacy concerns should trump security concerns? In my book, ... it's not much of a debate.

No comments: