Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Notorious

The secrets of aXXo, BitTorrent's top movie pirate - The Internet's most prolific supplier of pirates is now even more famous!

(xy edit): The issue of piracy on the internet is tricky one. It would be hypocritical of me to condemn pirates but the economist in me believes that property rights must be protected. This does bring to mind one a series of science fiction novels I've read by Dan Weber. His books are readily available online and can be downloaded free of charge. The publisher and author believe that the free publicity more than offsets any loss of sales. While I can't speak for the total impact, I know that I've been taking advantage of the freedowloads and did not purchase the books. Additionally, since I try to hide my science fiction predilection, I'm not giving them any additional buzz.

Note to xx: stop telling my friends my habit of reading trashy star wars novels! The Timothy Zahn trilogy is quite good as are his other star wars novels. I made the mistake of trying a few others, and once I start a series I must finish to the end! Do I tell your embarassing hobbies/habits to others? I think I can think of a couple...:)

No comments: