Sunday, February 6, 2011

Prediction: Pixar's 1st FAIL

I am a huge Pixar fan, so I write this post with a sense of dread, but I have seen teaser trailers for Cars 2 and I predict it will be Pixar's first big FAIL--critically, at least, and possibly also box office.

Now, granted, I was not a huge fan of the first Cars. It was decent, but in terms of story, characters, and quality, it sat around the level of A Bug's Life for me: aka, pretty good for an animated movie generally (considering the other crappy fare out there), but at the very bottom of the Pixar rung.

I know one of the Pixar core loves cars, and Cars was his baby. But Cars also fared poorly internationally, because ain't nobody outside America that gives a damn about cars. A sequel with the same kind-of-annoying anthropomorphic vehicles from the first movie just seems to be a recipe for disaster.

I hope I am wrong. Pixar has been nearly infallible. But, gosh, I really think this is going to be its first big misstep.

1 comment:

Right of center said...

I don't think it will fail commercially - I think there's plenty of appetite for an animated G movie for kids.