Sunday, January 2, 2011

Inception

I know I normally only do anime reviews here, but I finally saw Inception and I can't stop thinking about it. Whatever the "reality" of what the film is actually supposed to mean, I am really impressed with how persistently I continue to think through the intricacies of the plot and the possible meta-theories behind the movie.

I watched a few parts of the movie again today over dinner, and after thinking about it some more I think I largely agree with this reviewer's interpretation of the film's meaning: it's not just the film's ending that is up for interpretation, but the whole film itself.

Again, though, I think it matters very little whether he's right or I'm right or whatever (and that that, too, is part of the meta-meaning). Any film that can make you ponder this hard about meaning and meta-meaning is an impressive one.

While Inception won't necessarily go down as one of my favorite movies of all time (I tend to fall for the emotional animated types), it certainly is among the most intellectually interesting. Consider me sold on Christopher Nolan.

No comments: