Friday, January 14, 2011

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I watched this movie from my Netflix queue after seeing it on a not insignificant number of people's "10 Best Movies of 2010" lists. The trailer did not excite me when it came out, but I trusted that since the movie got an over-80% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and A.O. Scott was a big fan, I would enjoy it as well.

From A.O. Scott's review: "There is plenty of [crazy fun] in “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World” — fast cuts, off-kilter puns, sight gags and sound effects in such profusion that you may want to see it again as soon as its over. But underneath is a disarming sincerity and a remarkable willingness to acknowledge ambivalence, self-doubt, hurt feelings and all the other complications of youth."

As it turns out, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World was the first movie I have rated "Bad" since Princess of Thieves, a made-for-TV movie about Robin Hood's daughter starring Keira Knightley that I watched on Youtube. It was worse than M. Night's horrible butchering of The Last Airbender.

In fact, I can't think of another movie in recent memory (although Blade:Trinity comes to mind) that I have genuinely wished to stop watching before it was even half over. The protagonist, Scott Pilgrim (played by Michael Cera, who I usually like but now find extraordinarily annoying), had to fight his new girlfriend's seven evil exes. I wanted to turn the movie after the first two. (Oh god, FIVE MORE of this BS?)

It is unfathomable to me that so many people not only enjoyed this movie, but expressed desire to "see it again as soon as it's over" and even put it on their top 10 movies list. I haven't had this much hatred toward a movie since Blade: Trinity, and that is NOT a flattering comparison.

No comments: